Writer Island -- Pinch me, I must be dreaming



I'm sooooo excited! For several years I've wanted to host a writing retreat on Orcas Island, but not just any writing retreat -- one that's all about immersion in nature. My best writing and best ideas come from contemplative time observing nature. I had something in mind like how artists do plaine-aire painting in the great outdoors. The island is perfect for it because we have mountain and shoreline, lakes and trails. It's an escape from freeways, chain stores, fast food -- heck, we don't even have traffic lights. Plus, there's this cool old stone shelter built by the Civilian Conservation Corps in the 1930s with a fireplace, and it's right next to my favorite hike that circles Mountain Lake. I mean, who wouldn't be inspired to write.

I don't know why I'd never done it. I guess I needed to meet the amazing poet and teacher Martha Silano first. We were talking a few weeks ago, and it turns out we both had a similar vision. Picture sparks flying as we realized we both had the same idea, and more sparks when we decided to pair up to make it happen.

So, I'm very happy to tell you that on the weekend of April 5-7, we'll be hosting Writer Island! A writing retreat immersed in and inspired by nature. It's going to be grand.

The latest research on creativity shows that the most innovative ideas and artwork happen away from the barrage of daily stresses and stimuli, and in settings where there is a good balance of contemplative time, the beauty of nature, and interaction with like-minded people. So we've designed the workshop to be just that. Plus some mighty tasty food.

I hope you can join us. If not, I hope you'll tell your friends about it. It's going to be an amazing weekend to let the wonder of spring infuse our creative work.


Comments

Popular Posts